Freshness

Freshness

Friday, April 8, 2011

Growth revisited

Yesterday during the training at MCYS, the trainer ended off by sharing a few quotes to encourage us in our work with the children:

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter."

"Just living is not enough," said the Butterfly." One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."

They kinda connected to me... one for obvious reasons (cos it the title of my blog! ha!) and the other about the importance of laughter. The next side of the bookmark has quotes on what children really wants from a research done. Some of them are:

Children should grow up happy and enjoy their childhood.
Do I know what is the best thing about this child?
See the child, not his problems...

These reminders set me thinking how many times I have brushed aside a little one because I am busy with all the admin work and how many times I stop them from playing with water and toys because it messes up the place and creates fights and also how many times I let one pass without a genuine smile or laughter from our session together. Actually what they want is so simple, just our presence and our undivided attention for that short period.

I had a new admission last night, a five year-old girl and she was experiencing separation anxiety, refusing to let her mother go. I just carried her and brought her back to the unit and she stuck with me like a koala bear, not letting me go. One of the girls say, "Jie, you haven take in a child like that for very long already hor." and I was thinking to myself, "ya, that's right." I have forgotten this feeling of being a safe refuge for the little ones which os part of what brought me here in the first place. Providing a place they can feel safe enough to stay in till they are ready to face the scary new place. A familiar longing was stirred somehow.

The audition for the kids, as I watched them all grown up, now performing. It brought tears to my eyes. It's like not too long ago this group were in their primary schooling years, socially awkward and low self- confidence. There I saw them all in their teens, playing the guitar and drums and singing to the song, "Once in a december". I felt so...... proud of them :) Blossoming ... I know that they will grow up to be really close friends, just like siblings as they have grown up together all these years. I thank God that they have each other to count on ..

God, thank you for giving me a glimpse into how it must feel like when u witness my growth through the years. I really hope to make you proud.

No comments: