Freshness

Freshness

Thursday, April 22, 2010

The familiar feeling of belonging

Today my colleague said to me over msn twice, "You are so cool and calm". I was like...ok :) A secret smile in my heart. The strings of events which happened in the morning threaten to ruin my day. The cab driver who, for the fourth time, did not turn up to pick the girls to school. The child who was reported by his teacher to lift his classmates' skirt. The two discipline reports on my table. The client who did not want to come for counseling. The mother who is unwilling to pay for the home fees.

The list goes on...

When my colleague broke the bad news to me at the office in front of a few others, my mind was like ticking away. Tick tick tick...ok, I need to call this person, then this other person and do this and that. Surprisingly I was not too surprised. Perhaps I have been conditioned in my job to expect the unexpected. On I went to do the neccesary and then the familiar blinking of the messenger conversation tab. Now, that was a nice little encouragement in the midst of all the bad news. Makes me realise that wherever you are, eyes around you are watching.

It was the 1st time after a long time that I did not eat except for breakfast. I was out and about, off to the hospital and settle the stuff till it was 7pm and I didn't even feel hungry. It was a strangely good feeling, to be present in the day of a family's life, walking through their crisis with them. Though it has not ended and definitely requires energy to do the follow-up, I thank God for this process because it reminds me of my reason for working here.

Something in me stirs again. The familiar feeling of belonging.

No comments: