Freshness

Freshness

Friday, April 24, 2009

Bring Out The Child In You

Tonight was my second last lesson of the term... mixed feelings and a tired body. Comfort. Comfort in the fact that I have survived thus far, comfort from finishing my last assignment and comfort from being in a group of familiar faces. It has been an amazing 4 mths and time has somehow passed real fast. The initial energy in the group has simmered into an atmosphere of stability and predictability. Two phrases captured me tonight, "We are born in 3s" and "Bring out the child in you."

Phrase 1: We are born in 3s
For a moment, my mind drifted to the trinity but nah, can't be... the tutor continued, "For us to come into the world, we are our father, mother and us. Everyone goes through that. We are all born for connection."

Phrase 2: Bring out the child in you
The child does not have an agenda, they share as they feel and feel as they share. Spontaneous, random, creative, exciting, energetic, unpredictable... A few days back, I suddenly recalled a childhood memory. I have always been unable to ascertain if this is real and happened. I remember when I was young, there was once I was playing with my siblings and cousins at the playground area. I run off to the potted plants at the side and saw a beautiful butterfly. Encaptured by it, I started to catch it. I ran round and round the plants to catch it and after a long time, I managed to cup my palms over it. I can still recall the feeling of DELIGHT when I managed to catch it. Holding it as a precious treasure in my hands, I quickly went back home and showed it to my brother. We placed it inside a box and kept it. I keep staring at it. I realised then that it was not as beautiful when I see it close up and there was a part of me that felt a bit disappointed. Some time later, when I looked at it again, it was not moving anymore and I was quite frantic, worried that it might have died. In a desperate mean to save it, I quickly removed the lid but it did not fly out. I took the container with the butterfly inside and flung it out of the window. It just dropped and fell like a dead weight. I felt sad and I vow that I would never catch a butterfly again. That day when I was chatting with my brother, he said that he remembers about the butterfly and I felt this gladness in my heart. The gladness of retaining a childhood memory that was both sweet and bitter at the same time. It was a moment of discovery for me.

I want to keep this with me forever, among many other childhood memories I have :)

No comments: