Freshness

Freshness

Friday, July 30, 2010

Remember the gift :)

So cute :P

It was a bad day at work with the disappointments which came one after another. At the end of the day, feeling defeated and tired, I saw the mother with her 3 children on their way back home. Usually I would enjoy chatting with her but today, part of me just wished that they haven't seen me but it was not to be. As I walked out from the side gate, the youngest girl ran to me, looking like she wants to hug me. I was pleasantly surprised by her friendliness then...I realised that she was looking at the half-eaten chocolate in my hands and putting on her sweetest smile, she stared at it longingly and said in the sweetest voice, "Jie jie Jasmine" Yup, my heart melted :) her mother's voice in the background, "you already eat 2 chocolate just now, cannot". Then her brother say, "I want leh" and her eldest brother said, "Not fair!" haha, of cos I din give them any but I gave them each a sweet (the sweet which Trac says is very nice) and their faces lighted up.

The mum had her hands full with her 2 kids so I volunteered to hold the hands of the son and the other kids were so funny. They kept turning back to look at us and grinning at their brother. In the end, we took the same bus together and the girl wanted to sit at the back with me while her mother and brothers sat in front. We played with the pathetic few games in my handphone but we had a lot of fun just sitting there and playing the memory game, guess which ball is highest , counting, minesweeper. Each time she laughs, she will look up at me and smile.

I really enjoyed the time together and when I was leaving, she asked for a sweet. I brought her to the front to join with her mother and brothers and she kept looking behind at me and make funny faces. It was almost like she was enjoying something special that her brothers could not share and there was this smug look on her face while her brothers kept saying not fair cos she ate 2 sweets and they lightly hit the sister, saying that they are doing that on the mother's behalf haha...Before I left the bus, the girl came up to me, gave a huge smile and put something in my hand - the used sweet wrapper. I took it - with a smile on my face and one in my heart as well :)

A 40-minute bus journey but it reminded me why I was working here. It was a gift from God, a gift He has meant for me to enjoy but I have missed the point in my short-sightedness. I remembered how I felt that it was not a chore at all to interact with the kids and it caused me to want to work with children and till now, the softness towards them remains. I know that I will have children, no matter what. If I don't get married, I will definitely adopt a child and bring him/her up. Thank goodness for the new MCYS guideline that even singles can adopt a child now, though the age gap has to be at least 7 years.

No comments: