Freshness

Freshness

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I am a social worker and I am proud of it

We had a case study at WFL today and it's an example of a CL who is a social worker who has two 'highly qualified' people in her team who are 1) a lawyer and 2) a senior accountant... They have different viewpoints and the CL had to meet them up separately to mediate with them.

One of the guys said that the CL may have to deal with her self-esteem issues cos she is a social worker. I replied, " I am a social worker". He said, "No offense". What he said is not as offensive as how he feels. I replied that my self-esteem is not that low.

I am proud of my profession and just because it pays lower than the general profession in the society doesn't make it any lesser. I made the choice and it's my passion so it does not make me any lesser than a lawyer or an accountant. My self-esteem comes from my job in fact because I do feel that I am helping the downtrodden in the society to get their feet on the ground. I am also proud of my other colleagues in this field who are choosing to be underpaid in order to serve a grp of pple the pple in the society has forgotten. I have my opinions, viewpoints as much as any other person and I do believe I have a right to be heard. Social worker or not.

Finally, I love my job and I esteem it...and how many can say that with true conviction?

No comments: