Freshness

Freshness

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Not a sprint but a marathon

When Hong Teck shared that life is not a sprint but a marathon, I couldn't agree more. What's the point of rushing through everything and living life in transitions but never savouring the process? What's the point of running so fast and holding on to it all when I know that by doing so, I cannot get my act together? But just running on auto pilot, just running on depleting fuel.

Not that I am dying here or that I feel sian about what I am doing. No, I am enjoying it, things are picking up and appearing to be on track but I am sick of the sprint, almost burnout, recuperate and sprint again way of doing things. Nothing near what I want nor what I believe is what God intended. What we do should be a means to an end rather than an end in itself. If not, how myopic we all will be. Any little problem or obstacle will bring us down completely. However, if I see the big picture and where all this will be leading to, I can move on.

I can fall down and pick myself up again. I can stop for a rest and then start running again when I feel better. I can stop and smell the roses. I can be fully present in what I am doing. I can appreciate things which crop up along the way which are not according to plan and troubleshoot when there is an unexpected situation.

Because it is more than THIS.

No comments: