Freshness

Freshness

Friday, January 15, 2010

stepping stone

My colleague is leaving on 5th February, the day I am on leave to go to Bali. So, how am I feeling? I am feeling fine, it has been part and parcel of working here. People come and go so often that I am used to it. More than 10 in the span of 3 years+ here, I think that's a record! I used to think long long ago when I was much younger that when a person starts work somewhere, he/she usually stays on for good. "For good", I mean 5 years, 10 years or even till their retirement. Well, at least it was that way for the people around me.


Things have changed much and people view their jobs as stepping stones to somewhere better and closer to their goals. A job is no longer an end in itself but rather, a means to an end. I realised that when I was in university, deliberating the career options I have. The word "temporary workforce" is not a foreign word to me, I have accepted this is how the trend was going to be.


Still, I marvel that I am and will be working in a same place for at least 7 years of my twenties. Perhaps I am a gen-x at heart or perhaps I have found a place I can feel at home in, that I can contribute and grow and derive satisfaction. Ha, bringing things to perspective, it might be too early to say cos afterall, this is only my second job and I am only halfway through the 7-year mark. I can only say I hope that when I reach my 30s, I will be somewhere else.


This shall be my stepping stone, just that I chose to stay on it longer before I move on. While the pasture is not necessarily greener on the other side but rather, where you water it, I believe that this will not be the final stop :)



"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
(Hebrews 11:1)

No comments: