Freshness

Freshness

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Conflict management 101 :)



There is this strangely funny way in how boys resolve their conflicts which I still find it hard to comprehend. Well, at least it works for them and perhaps there were a lot of underlying currents or "rules" that I failed to notice. As fast as it happened, it fizzled off equally fast too. I was like, "oh ok, you mean you are best friends now?" well....ok.... :P

My new boy came up to me crying, saying that two other boys had kicked him and scolded him. He looked so upset that I went down with him immediately to resolve the matter. Sitting there were two angry-looking boys perspiring and ready to pounce. Very quickly, the shouting match started. "He scold my mother, you think I am happy?" "No, he irritate me first." and so it went on. Took me quite a while to get them to talk, turn by turn and in normal volume.

AfterI scolded each of them separately, they were still not too happy though quietly accepting the reprimand. Then came the response from one of the boys, "But I still want to play soccer, I don't want to leave soccer." The other two boys quickly replied that he cannot join. I said, " He has to join because I asked him to join. I gave him a goal to lose weight before he leaves this Home." At that instant, one of the boys walked over and shook his hand and hugged him. The other boy followed suit. All smiles, anger diffused. The boy placed a hand over the new boy and said, "Come, I bring you to play" and they walked off happily.

Boys :)

2 comments:

Jinghe said...

haha, boys at times just need someone to voice out / validate their anger and have small fights before making peace and forget all about the conflict :P

Jasmine Chia said...

yep, I guess so but the way they handle it is sure different from girls :)