Freshness

Freshness

Monday, January 25, 2010

Couple counseling

The new year has barely began and I already feel like I've been on to many things ...The 2 weekends of lessons, interviews, readings, celebrations, cgs and work has been a recurring theme in all of this. I feel like I am having an "affair" with my work and studies haha...Maybe my mind is filled with this word so much so that it keeps getting to me.

The weekend that passed has been a challenging one as we did our couple counseling (first time for some of us). I felt like I was in a 'hot-box', with the tension as thick as fog and emotions flaring at some points in the session. There was the occassional outbursts and the uncomfortably long silences to deal with. It was not an easy task to sit between two hurt people, trying to help them resolve their issues. I was desperately trying not to be pulled in to any sides.

Out of the 3 couple issues presented, 2 of them were EMA (Extra Marital Affairs). A tricky situation to handle. It was the ambiguity hanging in the room that makes it unbearable. So, is she really having an affair? Both the therapist and other spouse are thinking. Everyone is just waiting for it to be disclosed and yet, we fear that which comes with the disclosure. When it finally did, that was the clearing up stage. To deal with the crisis and whether there was a common ground for reconciliation.

Couple counseling is amazing, to say the least. I am seriously beginning to appreciate the dynamics involved and the 1001 things that are going on during periods of silence. The "look", the folding of the arms, the tapping of the hand. They are all means to communicate something. Sometimes, the unspoken makes up for what is not said.

No comments: