Freshness

Freshness

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Doing what you enjoy and getting paid for it

Doing something you enjoy and getting paid for it, this thought came to my mind yesterday on my way to work... As I look back, I never thought that I would stay in a job for this long, with at least 3 more years to go. That will effectively make me 7 years in my current job!

After staying for 3 years in the same place, I still look foward to going to work and I still find satisfaction in the things I do and yes, I still love the children :)

I used to dislike it when others ask whether I am a volunteer and whether I get paid at all. Rising in me will be this sense of indignation that we, social workers should be given more recognition. No wonder my trainer says that social work in Singapore is like third world country.

Now, I am proud of it because what I do is what others will want to do in their free time and are willing not to be paid for at all. Yet, here I am, doing this as my job and it's not really a job afterall, it's something which I want to do. It's great to see the different facets of life playing out in front of you, the range of emotions you experience with a person and getting deep into another person's world and being involved in what matters to them. I love being in the midst of the action :)

No comments: