Freshness

Freshness

Friday, August 21, 2009

The unconsious mind

"Do we sometimes wake up in the morning and feel like we are not the same person? Even though we are the same, we are different."

I totally agree with the tutor on this...we all internalise experiences in different way. No one experience the same thing in the same way. Freud talks about the meta-pyschology, moving above the psyche, to embrace something more than the grey matter in our brain. Someone in class shared that he has a friend who went through a heart transplant and following that, he started to have certain memories and feelings of a different kind. His eyebrow also grew thicker. Isn't this amazing that the same heart in a different body can actually affect that person to this extent? I wonder how it feels to have someone else's heart in my body. It's a scary thought.


To bring the unconscious to conscious is when we increase in self-awareness. We move from a reactive position to a responsive position. There are things I believe, which we do unconsciously, that we may not even be aware of. A research shows that people who go into a wine shop will be 90% more likely to buy german wine if the music play in the background is german music and vice versa for french wine. This reveals how our mind sometimes play tricks on us.


Recently, I had such an experience as well. I was choosing flowers and I took a long time to do that. After taking along time, I finally made my choice, much to the displeasure of the flower seller. haha...After that, on the cab, as I was appreciating the flowers, I realised that I had chosen yellow, orange and white colour flowers and I looked at my clothing, I was wearing yellow, white and orange that day!! Is it an uncanny coincidence? I am not sure but I am certain it was affected by my mood that day though I was unaware and thought that I had made a decision based on rational thinking based on logical.

2 comments:

JuneZ said...

Yes - Your "flower" experience is funny..haha..n I believe in the unconsious mind..and how we can bring it to consious and be aware and make sense of it. Bit it can be scary aso..You know, Freud and Jung were v.good friends and they fell out? In fact, Freud was Jung's teacher. =P

Jasmine Chia said...

Yup, Freud was Jung's teacher but they splitted becos Jung did not quite agree with Freud...