Freshness

Freshness

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

ENDanger

Today was rainbows. We talked about anger. Anger, someone said to me...when you add D in front, it's D-anger and when you add END in front, it's END-anger. Wondering if I struggle with it? I guess sometimes I do. Afterall, it's usually link with impatience right? Yup, that has always been an area of growth I am working towards. How does a person who struggle with anger teach a group of kids cope with their anger? Ironic isn't it? But I guess it just got to show that we are all human - imperfect. This bonds us together in our differences as we work towards overcoming our weakness together :)

I drew a big kettle and wrote, "Angry Bubbles" in it. The analogy is that when we get angry, the water in the kettle boils and if we dun lift up the lid, the kettle will......EXPLODE. Ya, the child got the answer right. We wrote some of the things that makes us angry in our families. It really melts my heart as I read them:

"My mother was sad because my father asked her for money"
"My father and mother was frighting"
"I am embarrased because I am the only one who has no mother"
" I am jealous because my brother can go with my mother"

The list goes on...

I could have added on some of mine. Bottomline: Everyone will get angry but how do we deal with it. That is what will make the difference.

Some of the answers:

"I will stay aside and cool down"
"I will ride on the horse at the playground"
"I will be nice to my mother when she is nice to me."
"I walk away"

To deal with ur negative emotions is not to pretend that it does not exist nor allow it to endanger ourselves or others. We need to deal with it in ways which works for us. Isn't it sad that the children have such limited options. How far can they walk away, how long are they allowed to stay aside and cool down, when can they go to the playground, what if they can't walk away...

No comments: