Freshness

Freshness

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Our Calling

Today I was reading an article written by a teacher who has been in service for 15 years. It is entitled, "Called To Teach." Below is an excerpt from her article which spoke to me...

"Am I called to be a teacher? Yes, I think so. The struggle, no different from other believers, is that I have other responsibilities to family and church and one only has so much time and energy. The bible says there is a season for everything. Regardless of the paid profession in which we serve the Lord, there will always be many unpaid areas of service as well. We need His wisdom daily to know which should be our focus in this particular season."

As a christian, our calling from God is very important. Am I called to be where I am? This is a question we often ask ourselves. Am I living out the purpose God has for me and am I extending his kingdom through what I am doing...am I experiencing God's pleasure in the things I do? :) These questions is true for the many areas in our lives ( in our profession, in our families, our ministries, wherever we are). It is impossible to do many things at the same time but it is still possible to do what God wants us to do in our lives. Focus is the key. It comes from wisdom from God.

I recall a story shared by a speaker at the woman's conference. She shared that she is a very performance-oriented individual who has been brought up to top in all the things she does. Being a missionary, she enjoys bringing people to know God and experience God deeply though interaction with others. There was a period in her life, her husband was very sick and he has to undergo some fatal surgeries. During this time, she stayed at home daily and feed him medication, bring him for his treatment 3 times a week. As a result, she had to put down all she was doing and solely take care of her husband's needs. She shared that she felt trapped and unhappy as she believed God has a greater purpose for her to do more things with what she was given. However, this was a moulding period for her where God spoke to her that her husband was her ministry in that season in her life. God meant for her husband to be her focus at that time.

An amazing testimony. It reminds me to pray to God and ask Him for a focus in this season of my life :)

No comments: