Freshness

Freshness

Friday, July 24, 2009

My first job experience

Was listening to the Christmas songs played on my colleague's radio and it brought back the memories of my first part-time job. I remembered my mum didn't want me to go and work as she wanted me to stay at home and help her to babysit the children. I was upset as I wanted freedom. I didn't want to stay at home for the holidays and I was adamant on it, so much so that I threatened to go for the 6-month poly orientation if I was not allowed to work. How wilful, as I looked back at myself. haha... I was only 16 years old. Migosh, that's like 10 years ago. Time flies.

First day of work, I was extremely excited, looking forward. Even the uniform was appealing to me. I was ready to work as a sales assistant at Liang court. The stockings, the black court shoes, the uniform. Little did I know that I would find it such a hassle as time passes, especially when I am running late for work and needed to get myself ready fast. It was the first time I put on make-up, the first time I wore stockings and I was just a little girl in an oversized uniform. It must have been a pitiful size.

I was optimistic though, at least in front of my mother before I go to work. I always appeared happy in front of her, the pride was at work. I did not want to admit to her that work was tough so she could not tell me, "See, I told you. Do you want to quit now?" I refused to cave in and hang on though there were days I felt my legs could break and the aircon was so strong but I was not able to wear a jacket. It was Christmas period and everyday they play the Xmas songs till I was sick of it. People asking me which colour suits them better, picking up the hangers, folding the clothes, that's my everyday routine. The time when I was happiest, aprat frm pay day, had to be when my friends came to visit me at my workplace. I still rem a friend saying that my uniform looked wierd haha...

I think what really killed my soul was when I missed the millenium. I was like, "The Millenium!!"I couldn't believe I had to work on the eve of the new year and Christmas as well. I guess my mother was shocked at my persistence (or stubborness) as well. I had, in an attempt to gain freedom, step into another cage. The happiest time had to be my pay day and in my free times, I will just take out the calculator to see how much I have earned ha. And all my money goes to my mum. But I was ok, I was happy I was able to earn the money to give her. I bought her a ring for the first time. Not sure if it's still ard though but I know she wore it.

I am thankful for that experience as I tasted what it was like to come out of my comfort zone. It may not be totally sweet but I left a different person.

1 comment:

zhiyong said...

Sunrise is nice. We can watch it in Kukup =)