Freshness

Freshness

Friday, February 13, 2009

Two Peas in A pod?

1 day to Valentine's Day and I've already been hearing many interesting stories of how people get together... Here's one news article of such a story of a 32 year-old woman who married a 21 year-old guy (sent to me by Alexis):

My hubby is no Mummy's boy
THREE weeks ago, my husband was the one who "popped", even though I am the pregnant party. By "popped", I am referring to his Passing Out Parade, the coming-of-age experience familiar to Singaporean males aged 18 and above. The parade is meant to symbolise their transformation from mere recruits to trained soldiers. Being married to a full-time national serviceman, I was invited to witness the auspicious graduation ceremony and had an "amusing" time.

And so, a 32-weeks-pregnant, 32-year-old me waddled onto Pulau Tekong to watch the love of my life (who is 12 years younger than me) prance about on a parade square with a rifle. While trying to spot my husband in the crowd of camouflage greens, someone behind me called out. "Excuse me, are you Miss Ismail?" cried a voice, referring to me by my maiden name.
I turned around and came face-to-face with a former student who I used to teach English Literature. Five years ago, when I was still marking essays at one of the nation's top secondary schools, he was in white uniform shorts and with a side-parting combed by his mother. I was therefore amazed to see him wearing a red beret and a couple of rank insignias on his epaulettes.

Although I was happy to see him, I had a sinking feeling. The discomfort was exacerbated by his next question: "So, Ma'am, who are you here to see?" I watched his expression as I replied: "My husband." It was a surreal experience, to say the least. To his credit, he quickly quelled his surprise and we continued to talk about other things: His plans to go to university and how he cannot wait to complete his own national service. He pointed out to three other former students of mine, who were sergeants or officers in charge of the recruits.

When my husband, D, finally finished his show of might and strength, he joined me on the terrace and I introduced him to the boys as my husband. As they acknowledged him, I sensed their latent curiosity.The top questions may have been: Why did she choose him? How did they meet? What were they thinking? I was struck by how topsy turvy it seemed. His supervisors are my former students, only 20 years old and not yet in university, yet they far outrank him. D, an expectant father and a newly-wed husband, is in a category far removed from them, and certainly has more to think about than, say, his Playstation Portable-toting bunkmates, who make plans to go clubbing or drinking as soon as they have permission to book out. So, it is somewhat depressing to know that my man is subject to the authority and decisions of those who cannot possibly understand his needs.

Although I was happy to run into my former students at the parade for my man, I was a little testy when I looked at the feedback forms included in the goody bags at the Parade that day. Beginning with "Dear Parent...", it assumed that all NSFs are still tied to their mummies' apron strings. Sometimes, it doesn't take national service to turn boys into men. I'm proud to say that some, like D, already are.
http://multimedia.asiaone.com/Multimedia/Vodcast/Just%2BWoman/Story/A1Multimedia20081027-4732.html

Another is my colleage who is an Indian. I saw 7 roses on her desk and teased her. It was given to her by her husband this morning. They had just gotten married a month ago. I asked her where they will be going tomorrow and she shared that they will be watching their first movie together and I was a tad surprised. They met each other in 2007 at a wedding and he took a liking to her. He expressed interest in her but she did not feel the same way. After that, they did not keep in contact for 1 year and were busy with their own lives. When they met up during Deepavali one year later, he decided to pursue her again and there and then, they decided to get engaged after 2 hours of talking. During their first date, they were already discussing about marriage. In her words, "Before, I would never have thought that this can happen. I told myself that I am prepared not to be married and then he appeared." "We are really similar and we can talk about almost everything." Oh ya, forgot to mention, their first meeting dates back to their childhood days when she was 7 and he 10. He asked her for a dance and she refused. Isn't that cute, how their relationship has evolved since :P

I am bowled over..haha

No comments: