Freshness

Freshness

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Working with children day 2

Today my trainer did a live interview of a classmate who volunteered to share about her childhood. For me, it was just sweet, how her brother meant so much to her since young and as I listened, I was touched :)

She shared a few significant moments which he has impacted her life. How he accompanied her to play with her new-found friends because she was scared, how he help her wear her uniform on her first day of P1, how he makes restaurant reservations on her behalf because she is afraid, how he initiate contact after a conflict and still sent her to the airport for her trip, how he sends her to the airport each time she travels overseas even when he had to wake up at 530am, how he replies all her smses to encourage her when she was feeling very sian at the BBQ, how he scolded her ex-boyfriend when he bullied her, how he was with her all the way through life's ups and downs. (Better than a boyfriend :P)

The concepts of bringing our self into the therapy and making it a priority to make the other person feel at ease. It just struck me how I have NOT been doing that. Rather, I often bring to the session an agenda of my own, instead of going at the client's pace or respecting his space. I need to make a more conscious effort to appreciate and respect the person sitting in front of me in the counseling room. To make the person feel comfortable, it does remind me of some people in my life who practise that as well. I was humbled.

Many emails....many many, opening my inbox kinda scares me a bit but thankfully I am smart, open the latest one with the same heading. Thanks gals for sharing life together, it means a lot to me. Counting down...4 more days till we meet. Love you :)

No comments: