Freshness

Freshness

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Young At Heart



There are times when your mind just wonders and it brings you to places where you don't want to go.

Today, I had such a thought, "What will happen to me in my old age?" While it did not bring the feeling of fear, it brings a sadness. Perhaps its the experience yesterday, it got me thinking.

A few colleagues and I went to visit an ex-colleague (in his 80s) who used to work in the Children's Home. He has lung cancer and was warded in TTKH for 2 months already. When I saw him, he had a telephone next to him on the bed and he was in a daze. My heart weigh down. He shared that he can only see with the left eye and that his right eye is almost gone. We prayed for him and as we did, I felt a strong sense of loneliness in him. I prayed for God's presence to be with him , that at times when he is alone, he will not feel lonely. At that, he held my hand very tightly and it makes me want to cry.

Today, as I was going for lunch, I see a man of at least 70, full of white hair and hunchbacked walking past me by the road and I wondered how he looks like when he was young. On my left, in one of the private houses, there was a lady in her 60s tending to her plants in a nice garden. And I wondered. Many things change but there are some that never will. And they are usually not that which can be seen, it has to be felt.


"耶 和 华 却 对 撒 母 耳 说 : 不 要 看 他 的 外 貌 和 他 身 材 高 大 , 我 不 拣 选 他 。 因 为 , 耶 和 华 不 像 人 看 人 : 人 是 看 外 貌 ; 耶 和 华 是 看 内 心 。" (撒 母 耳 記 上 16:7)

No comments: