Freshness

Freshness

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dis-illusioned

An article extracted from Tim Elmore's leadership blog:
"You cannot be disillusioned about anything unless you are first illusioned."
It's so simple we miss it. Only when I have illusions of what should be; only when I possess expectations of something or someone can I be disappointed in them. Someone who gets disillusioned with God or their career or their family--or anything--and decides to give up on them usually does so because they have an assumption of what should have happened. An expectation of perfection or an ideal model. Then, when that model doesn't appear, they are miffed. Disappointment sets in. Anger emerges. Then, bitterness and resentment and often a desire for revenge. I meet people all the time who are unhappy and disillusioned with their job, with marriage, with God, or with people in general...and they've checked out.

Can I tell you what I've learned over the years? I must cling to hope, but I must have no illusions about life. It is hard. People let you down. Plans rarely turn out exactly the way we imagined them to turn out. Further, when I enter situations knowing life is difficult--I never experience disillusionment. When someone does something nice, I am grateful. When a bonus comes in for me, I treat it as just that. A bonus. It's above what I expected. I work because it is right. I love because it makes life work. I trust in God not just because it is a phrase on our coins but because I have good reason to have faith. I equip people to be leaders because I know that, even though they're far from perfect, they possess some good inside of them that must be nurtured and utilized to influence the world. But I must work to keep it real.
How about you? Have you gotten depressed over an issue? Are you struggling with disappointment? Have you given up on something or someone?
Have no illusions, and you'll won't be disillusioned.

http://www.elmoreleadershipblog.blogspot.com/

It's an enlightening article that makes sense to me. I find myself often getting disillusioned, especially with my performance or when when things does not happen the way I plan or wanted it to be. I get into a self-defeating mode and get bitter over situations, becoming very negative about what is to come. When this happens, I fail to see God in the picture, He becomes some distant being who do not give me what I desire. Contentment is knowing that God has the best for us even when we don't feel that way. Only God can truly satisfies.There is a thin line between faith and idealism.

No comments: