Freshness

Freshness

Friday, February 6, 2009

Mirror mirror on the wall


"You cannot love another person from a false self. You cannot love another while you are still hiding. How can you help them to freedom while you remain captive? You cannot love another unless you offer her your heart. It takes courage to live from your heart. My friend Jenny said just the other day, “I desperately want to be who I am. I don’t want the glory that I marvel at in others anymore. I want to be that glory which God set in me.”

Finally, our deepest fear of all . . . we will need to live from it. To admit we do have a new heart and a glory from God, to begin to let it be unveiled and embrace it as true—that means the next thing God will do is ask us to live from it. Come out of the boat. Take the throne. Be what he meant us to be. And that feels risky . . . really risky. But it is also exciting. It is coming fully alive. My friend Morgan declared, “It’s a risk worth taking.”
(Waking the Dead - The Glory of a Heart Fully Alive, John)

In order to truly be able to love others, we have to first be truly able to love ourselves which means embracing ourselves for who we are. To meet with our greatest fears, our weaknesses, our ugliness and baring before God, asking Him to purify us. How comfortable are we with the person we face in the mirror daily?

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise." - Psalm 51:17

No comments: