Freshness

Freshness

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Your 5 minutes with Someone

I had an enjoyable 5 minutes phone conversation with someone at work today. She is a teacher of one of my children from the Home. My child has not been attending school and she called to find out what happened. After knowing that the child has not returned back to the Home, she asked for her address, wanting to pay her a home visit. I later realised that the teacher is supposedly on MC today but she went back to school to cover her colleague's duties. I asked her why she wasn't at home resting and what she answered surprised me...


Her: I am covering my collegue's duty as she is not around...Have u been to our school?
Me: Yes, I have been to your school
Her: That must be why u enrolled her (the child) into this school right?
Me: When I came to the school, I find the teachers very friendly and the students helpful
Her: This is why I love the school so much and why I return even though I am sick (passionately)
Me: ok...
Her: How is she (the child) feeling about the school?

I was impressed by her dedication to the school and the students, that she feels strongly for the students. It may be a short 5 minutes but it left a deep impression in me. Makes me wonder about the 5 minutes we spend with others daily, in our work, when we are outside etc. There are many people we will only meet once in our lives and how much influence do we have in that meet-up? In The Tipping Point, Gladwell talks about the 3 kinds of people: The Connectors, Maverns and Salesmen. "Sprinkled among every walk of life, in other words, are a handful of people with a truly extraordinary knack of making friends and acquaintances. They are Connectors."

When Jesus came to earth, he met many people, spoke to them and influence them deeply. Despite his short 3 years of ministry, he was able to impact many people and touch their lives. I am sure for each 5 minutes he give to each person he met, he shared his heart and added much value to them.

No comments: